Friday 20 April 2007

Day 43 - BMI

I have finally got round to looking at a healthy BMI for my height to enable me to try and get some idea what weight I would be happy with and set some real goals.

I knew my ideal weight range was 8st.2lbs - 9st.3lbs, however I think I thought above those weights there was some leeway and still be within a healthy BMI. I always believed that those weights were far too low for me.

I sort of was getting my head into thinking 10st 7lbs was probably a good weight for me, as like most of us this weight had not been achieved for too many years to mention. Also I thought I would be pushing myself that bit further.

Well, I realise now to have a healthy BMI of just above 24, I need to weigh around 9st 5lbs. I feel really, really gutted! I can feel my motivation for the diet running out of me, and I don't think I have felt like this any other time over the weeks.

Maybe I shouldn't of looked at the BMI charts, or perhaps I am going through what everybody else does eventually. IE thinking that the low weights are far too hard to achieve, then look back at this time and laugh when we realise we have surpassed the higher end of a healthy BMI!!!!!!!!

HELP Me ........

I do not know what 9st something looks like but I know I do not want to be skin and bone. I also do not want to feel like living at that weight is such an effort. Now I do not mean my food demons, I understand the life long sentence. What I mean is trying to maintain 9st means less food than 10st 7lbs (doesn't it). I realise I can't return to my old eating habits but that's very different to eating like a mouse and claiming I'm full after eating a salad.

Please somebody give me advice on this one as do not want to give up.

I remember when I did WW many many moons ago. Well I did well, but perhaps half to a stone off target I spent weeks messing about, or so I thought. I could not get past my then current weight, and I have to say I looked good. I was also really active in various sports/exercise classes etc. Eventually I stopped going as did not want to admit defeat and pick my own weight to stick to rather than their ideal. I kept the weight off for a year, but gradually put it back on. My biggest regret I did not do their maintenance plan.

This situation is making me feel like the WW scenario!!!!!

2 comments:

. said...

If working out a BMI has you feeling so stressed then I think you're best to forget about that and just slim until you FEEL that you are at the healthy weight that you want to be. Now that may be 10.5 stone, it may be 10 stone or it may be 9 stone - you'll know when you feel right.

Like you I'm meant to be less than 9st4lb to be a healthy bmi - now I remember being 9 stone (all those 20ish years ago) and I definitely wasn't skin and bones then, I was still quite shapely with big boobs ... now if I got to that or a bit more than that I'd be happy.

Happiness is what we're all working towards (along with healthiness) - let your happiness lie in how you feel and not what's on a bit of paper or a computer screen.

Stay strong

Cath
x

Lesley said...

Spot on Cath. It's what YOU want that's important, not a number on a piece of paper. Please don;t let some theoretical issue jolt you off course when you have been doing so well.

It sounds to me as though you are succumbing to crooked thinking and kind of getting your excuses in early for why you might not succeed at this diet?? Now, there is NO reason why you shouldn't succeed - you've done brilliantly well so far. Success is not necessarily getting all the way down if that is not what you want to do, but it definitely NOT sabotaging yourself early!!!

Why worry about when you stop, just enjoy the ride and see how far you want to go.

Please get over this hurdle as it would be such a shame to let yourself be upset over such a silly reason (in the greater scheme of things). You CAN do it!!!

Now, have a good day tomorrow and try to just take one day at a time until you stop fretting about the future. (a good tip from Mrs of the Lard Arms I've found).

Take care and let us know how you're getting on.

Lesley x