Saturday 14 April 2007

Day 37 - Weigh Day & Salsa Dance Party!!!

Attended my group today and looked at Crooked Thoughts. These are the all or nothing statements we tell ourselves like one of my past personal favourites ..... 'I'm crap at diets and can never stick to them for more than a week'. The idea for this weeks homework is to look at x3 achievements per day and log them. I assume this is to help us realise things are generally not as bad as we sometimes tell ourselves and we all usually have some positives each day.

This week I have lost 3Ibs, so am very pleased. Truth be told was hoping for 3.5Ibs as want to loose 2 stone by next week! I know, never satisfied. Will just have to work my ass off and do an aerobics class this week or something. In reality I know I have lost 2 Stone (naked) remembering past higher weights so I am still chuffed. I also realised when weighed self this morning that in the scheme of things I am not too far away from nudging just under the 12 st mark! I cannot remember the last time I was 11st something!!!!! HE HE

Tonight my friend and I went to a salsa party arranged by our salsa teacher. The ticket cost £6 and included a dance lesson as well as admission to the club till 1am. Cheap bar, well it would be for me and I enjoyed plenty of soda water with St Clements. Felt good water wise as managed the 4 litres early in the day which was a first. The Party was open to everyone and we met people from other classes in Nottingham as well as Derby. I really enjoyed the lesson and he showed us even more moves. These are getting far too intimate for my liking. LOL. Steph, have you tried the one where you interlock your elbows, move around and are far too close for comfort? We then move up and down!

After that, the people who had been dancing for at least a couple of months had a lesson which was great to watch. They looked really professional. I did feel a little sad and wished hubby was there, however I accept it's just not his bag. Eventually it was just left to people to dance like any normal disco, well with Salsa music only. Again it was lovely to watch people and as I said to my friend, if we wanted to, we could of either danced together or with the men scattered about.

However as the evening wore on I suddenly had a thought that I needed something to eat/a takeaway!
Where did that come from as I know as was not actually hungry, but in any case I had a bar in my bag which I could munch on. I eventually realised that my sudden urge to eat was because I was out of my comfort zone. Whenever I go to a club, whether with or without alcohol, if the music is right I can dance. I can also choose to dance with or without friends if I so wish. At the Salsa Party I felt out of control because I neither had my own man to dance with, or if quite honest didn't want to dance with some of the misfits strolling around (sorry to be unkind ..... but I did feel at least relieved I was not on the look out for a partner as would of been very disappointed. Note to self, touch wood so Hubby does not decide to leave me, LOL).

Once I realised the reason for the emotional hunger I started to return to normality again. I suppose I knew I was a bit of a control freak on some levels but was also shocked a little that a simple thing like the party could of set me off on a downward spiral (had I been eating) and I would not of worked out why. If made a poor food choice I think I would of told myself how rubbish I was for not sticking to the diet. I then thought about how many other occasions I may of eaten due to being out of my comfort zone, not realised and eaten for the world!

I have to say I am loving LL for making me so self aware. I hope so much once I return to food I don't forget all this and can remember all these things for life.

7 comments:

. said...

Your blog today was truly a sign of how far you have come - you thought you wanted something but then after considering why you felt that way you realised that it was not the food that you wanted. I like you hope that we take all of these realisations with us into the future, I'm sure we must do, just not have to let food take us over again.

Your salsa party sounds like great fun - just think the next time there's a party it'll be you and your friends who are up dancing as the 'experts'.

Cath

chrismars said...

I'm heading towards the 12st mark as well, Sam. I can't wait 'til tomorrow to find out how far now. It's a long time since I've been 11st something also.

Your salsa party really sounded good fun, but it's not the same being at a party without your OH, is it? And absolutely brilliant on your restraint with the food issue. It shows how successful the counselling sessions with LL really are, doesn't it.

Have a good week.

Chris x

Lesley said...

All those light bulb moments must count to at least 3 achievements for that day surely??

The Salsa party sounds great but it's always the same, hubby not into dancing and the spare men are a bit on the scary side or too clingy! Think that's why I had such a good time at the ball thingy I went to a few weeks ago as discovered that my mate Jim is a good dancer (Ceroc mainly) - so now have a dancing partner should OH choose not to accompany me!!

I'm dead jealous about all these 12 and 11 stone women - I've still got ages to go before I hiit those numbers....grumble grumble...

Well done, must feel great, fingers crossed for your next weigh-in.

Lesley x

Unknown said...

Really interesting reading your comments re emotional hunger and crooked thoughts, I must be a week behind you as we are doing crooked thoughts next week, I can keep reading your blog for inspiration and insight Keep up the good work xx

Anonymous said...

At last time to read your blog! Well done on coming so far & thanks for the encouagement! I'm just behind you so nice to see whats on the way!

chrismars said...

Sam, where are you?

Chris x

Mrs said...

Hello Sam

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed catching up with your blog, particularly the last post. I think the comments about comfort zones are really important and very helpful.

So glad the LL counselling is working for you and keep up fantastic progress.

Mrs Lard (www.thelardarms.typepad.com) xx