Monday 25 June 2007

Day ? More Trousers!

Just a quick post as done in.

Work today and had a few issues tugging at my conscience and normal triggers which would of sent me off eating pre LL.

I had different members of staff who I manage feeling and some telling me in a roundabout way they were disgruntled with my new work pattern. I thought I had made it really clear to them I would actually be more available to them as now doing 4 days one week and 5 the other instead of 3 every week. I also told them even if I was with my other team that I am covering Mon/Tue, I was fully contactable either by email, phone or getting off said backside and talking to me face to face in the other part of THE SAME BUILDING!!!!!!!!!!

To be honest, I know who the instigator of the trouble is, and they have done it with previous managers so I should not be surprised. I have the measure of them and have been challenging things when necessary as not having them or anybody making a noise about something that is unnecessary.

Normally I would dwell on it, agonise about letting people down even if I could see we all have some part to play in personal responsibility. I would always shift blame to me. This would then make me feel like an inadequate manager and the insecurity sets in. Comfort food would then follow until I felt better which could be days down the line if the issue was ongoing.

Now I am not saying I no longer give a rats ass, because feeling like I am good at what I do and do support people is very important to me. However this time I have it in perspective. In actual fact there is only one person I manage who has a legit point (mainly due to me previously being PT and not being available to support in some challenging bits of work at the end of the week). That said in balance, I know that worker does need to take responsibility for it too as they never told me they felt like that despite me asking them and happily gets on with stuff. Therefore I think they are managing it as they tell me so.

The others have had over and above most managers offer, so they can live with it!

I do have some strategies which wanted to put in place anyway, so just motivated me to get on with that bit sooner. My trouble causer will still moan and try and take everybody with her, but I know this is something I have to live with but will keep a tight reign so she has less to use to cause the said trouble.

On that note, am off to bed to try and get shut eye by 10pm. The early nights have slipped again and my bags and brain are starting to feel it.

Kick Fit after work tomorrow

Sam xx

PS ..... I need to find some more trousers as only have weekend pair of jeans (now rather loose on waist) and a pair of work ones in reserve when a few more pounds down. I seem to of overdone it with skirts but no work trousers! Primark can't help as all too long, so looks like I will have to fork out in a shop who caters for the short, hope they have a sale on.

2 comments:

. said...

On the trouser front - Dorothy Perkins do trousers in short - think Wallis do too. Not sure about Next as I've not bought any from there.

Work and the whole managing of staff - nightmare/can of worms. All you can do is your best, as long as you honestly do that then nobody can legitimately hold what you can't do against you - we all have our limits and people do need to take responsibility for themselves!

Cath
x

chrismars said...

First of all, Happy Birthday for last Sunday, Sam It sounds as though you had a fantastic time and congratulations on the willpower re food. I know what you mean about disliking waste. What is it about our 'crooked thinking' (and that's from someeone who didin't get to the crooked thonking week - see hopw much I've learnt from you lot!). I've been the same over the years, ie. I'd rather eat the leftovers myself than throw them away. As you say, it makes me no more than the dustbin!

I hope you are able to sort the work problem. It's really awful when there are 'ripples' on the work front. I always feel more upset about them than when you have ripples at home.

Chris x