Monday 21 May 2007

Day 74 - Work!

Thanks for the lovely comments on my BLOG regarding failed hobbies, sick husbands, wedding dresses and my clear fetish for takeaway. You know, I never know it was that bad!!!!!!!

I thought I would just do a quick update as to my work proposition.

After much thought and discussion with both sets of friends (you know the ones who say try it and the others who say no way), as well as speaking to my colleagues who are currently in my old team, I have decided to give it a trial. Chris and Lesley Don't throw anything at your computers, I did listen to you and agree 100% life is far too short to run myself into the ground for somebody else benefit.

The balanced advice from Friend 1 who already has been doing the 9 day fortnight was give it a try. She made me see working at home one day a fortnight with Ella in tow does not mean chaining myself to a desk and ignoring her for 7.5 hours. Friend 2 who has children a similar age to me and has seen me do x4 days before I was a manager and what I do now advised me not to compromise on what I want. In particular I wanted my day off each fortnight to be Friday, and work at home the next one. I am currently off Thursday & Friday, all my PT working friends as well as Ella & Olivia's friends are off then too and we have established routines and links. Therefore I met with my boss, told her all my fears at ultimately being dumped on and expected to clear up the back log every week and being responsible for it. This is as well as some of the 'Personalities' involved too! I also told them my nursery can only offer Thursday as the extra day and why I wanted Friday too.

Job Done. The Friday seems to of been accepted, nursery can take the girls from 14/06/07 and all we need to agree are the ground rules of the work I will be undertaking.

Husbands is already looking concerned I will return in to monster career women again, but just like LL I will allay his fears by showing him I will either cope or pack it in. Now I have been on the other side of working every hour God sends, feeling stressed, having no energy or time for my family and friends ........ I will not allow it to happen again. Plus as stress is one of my many triggers to eat excessively to make myself feel better, I will not allow work to ruin my hard earned progress and opportunity to sort my life out.

Right, feel better now my mind is made up and off to bed to read a New, Crispy/untouched Magazine (another addiction of mine, but better than eating biscuits which happened to be calling at a particularly difficult meeting I attended this afternoon).

As a contingency, I will of course be relying on you all as well as my hubby to tell me if I suddenly am no longer upbeat!

3 comments:

Lesley said...

The best thing is making a decision but also having the self knowledge to be able to reverse the decision if it proves to be worng. I'm sure you'll make a go of it and wish you all the sucess in the world. Nice to be wanted eh??

Keep up the shrinking too.

Lesley x

chrismars said...

My computer screen is still intact, Sam. You seem to have thiught through exactly what is right for you on the work front and I wish you every luck with it. The main thing is you now have a plan and any decesions regarding the work/life balance are going to be on your terms.

Good luck with the job, Sam.

Chris x

Melanie said...

Hi Sam,

Glad you've made a decision, that in itself must feel like a relief, and with the fact that in making the decision you didn't surrender to the call of th biscuits, that's even better.

It is important to find a good balance with work and kids, I started back to work part time after having Jacob and built my way up to doing full time about 18 months ago.

It is difficult, but I do find the time I spend with Jacob is more quality time and I look forward to seeing him at the end of the day.

Nigel's really good though, he does more than 50% of his share around the house so I am fortunate in that respect.

As long as you make sure you remain in control of the situation, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Mel x